I’m always on the lookout for new dinner ideas. It’s easy to get stuck in a rut and prepare the same handful of tried and true recipes. There’s nothing wrong with that, but sometimes experimenting in the kitchen is worthwhile because you try exciting flavors and add new meals to your repertoire.
Like I mentioned in last weeks post, I’m on the hunt for entrees that are high in protein and veggies. Nutrient rich that will keep me full and satisfied. This recipe requires one pan so it makes clean up a breeze. It also, includes cheese so it feels a bit indulgent.
Spicy Sausage & Cabbage Skillet- (From the Cookbook “The Big 15 Ketogenic Diet”)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 pound hot Italian sausage
- 1 head cabbage, chopped
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup shredded provolone cheese
- Green onion, chopped (for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Heat olive oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium high heat.
- Add the onion and garlic. Sauté for 5 minutes until onion is translucent.
- Add the sausage and cook for 7-10 minutes or until browned. Remove from heat, slice sausage, and return to pan. (Meat may not be cooked through- that’s ok, it will finish cooking in oven.)
- Add the cabbage and season with salt and pepper. Give a good stir and let it cook about two minutes on the stovetop to soften the cabbage.
- Top with provolone cheese and place skillet into the oven. Bake for 15 minutes or until cheese melts. Remove from oven and toss green onions over skillet meal. Serve right away.
*Place leftovers in fridge for up to 3 days.
**If you don’t like spicy foods, feel free to use mild Italian sausage or chicken sausage.
The leftovers are delicious and this one-pot meal is perfect if you are meal prepping. What are some of your favorite one pan meals?
Thanks for reading! xo