Strawberry season is finally upon us and I made a quick appetizer that would be terrific to serve at a cookout on Memorial Day or perhaps on a summer picnic. Three ingredients are skewered on a toothpick and can be placed on a pretty tray or plate for serving. Strawberries are available for “pick your own” at many local farms this time of year, but any berries will do.
I came across this idea last year when I was reading “The Forest Feast”. I’ve made the traditional tomato version for years, but the berry variation is a fun twist.
Strawberry Caprese Bites
- Strawberries (washed, dried and halved if large)
- Basil leaves (washed and dried)
- Mini mozzarella balls
- Balsamic drizzle (optional)
- Skewer strawberry, basil leaf and mozzarella on a toothpick.
- Drizzle with balsamic vinegar if desired and serve immediately.
These guiltless bites are sweet and savory and are sure to disappear quickly. Fresh and easy is the name of the game during the warmer months.
Thanks for reading! xo