I’m ready for warm temperatures after a winter that keeps trying for a comeback. Our local farmers market opens for the season this weekend and I’m so excited. I’m ready for fresh fruit and veggies. Eating seasonal foods always tastes better and is certainly more nutritious.
Radish is a cool weather plant and always one to first make its appearance at the market so it inspired me to make this dish.
Radish and Cucumber Salad with Basil- (recipe from Taste of the South magazine)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 brunch radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 medium shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 English cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Fresh pepper and basil leaves for garnish
- In a medium bowl, whisk together oil, lemon zest and juice, vinegar, honey, and salt.
- Fold in radishes, cucumber, and shallot. Refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Just before serving, stir in basil. Garnish with basil and black pepper, if desired.
*This dish is best eaten with 24 hours otherwise the honey starts to solidify.
Serve this salad as a side dish at dinner when you are grilling out or pile it in a bowl if you are hosting a baby or bridal shower. It’s full of seasonal flavors and will provide a refreshing bite.
Thanks for reading! xo