Eating healthy doesn’t always come naturally. Throughout my adult life, I’ve had periods of indulging more than I’d like. Since having my daughter, it’s been harder to find the balance to keep up with workouts and focus on healthy eating. Sometimes convenience wins out and I’ve grown tired of this pattern. A few years ago, I had great success becoming fit and in tune with my personal wellness. I’m ready to start that experience again.
Salty snacks are always a treat, but they typically are full of empty calories. Kale chips provide crunch and are literally low calorie and one of the healthiest veggies you can find. Give them a chance and they might become a new favorite snack.
Kale chips are incredibly easy to make a require just a few simple steps.
• 1/2 bunch kale leaves
• 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
• Trader Joe’s Everything but the Bagel Sesame seasoning blend (sprinkle to your taste)
(If you can’t find this seasoning blend, feel free to use salt and pepper to taste and add Parmesan cheese last 5 minutes of baking.)
1. Preheat oven to 300F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.
2. Remove leaves from the stems of the kale and roughly tear it up into large pieces. Wash and use a salad spinner until the leaves are thoroughly dry.
3. Add kale leaves into a large bowl. Massage in the oil until all the leaves are coated in oil. Now sprinkle on the seasoning and toss to combine.
4. Spread out the kale onto the prepared baking sheet into a single layer, being sure not to overcrowd the kale.
5. Bake for 10 minutes, rotate the pan, and bake for another 12 minutes, until the kale begins to firm up.
6. Cool the kale on the sheet for a few minutes before eating. Enjoy immediately as they lose their crunch as time goes on.
*Repeat this process for the other half of the kale bunch.
Eating healthy can be fun and rewarding. Food really is the best medicine!
What are your favorite healthy snacks? I’d love to hear!!
Thanks for reading! xo