It wasn’t until a couple years ago that I actually tried Brussel sprouts. Something about those tiny cabbages didn’t sit well with me, but the older I get, the more adventurous I become with food. Roasting veggies is my favorite because the caramelization adds a wonderful sweetness to any variety of vegetables.
Brussel sprouts pair well with tart cranberries and the red and green colors work well for this festive time of year. This is a simple side dish that’s healthy too. We can all use a bit of balance this time of year.
Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Dried Cranberries-
- One package (16 oz) fresh Brussel sprouts (washed, trimmed and sliced in half)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Drizzle of balsamic vinegar (1 tbsp give or take)
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- Line baking sheet with foil and preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place Brussel sprouts in a large bowl, drizzle with olive oil. Crack desired amount of pepper and sprinkle with salt. Give a quick toss. Pour onto baking sheet and spread sprouts out evenly.
- Roast for 20-25 minutes until browned and tender. Drizzle balsamic overtop and give a quick toss. Add dried cranberries, stir and serve immediately.
The balsamic vinegar adds a delicious dimension to the dish and makes you want to fill up on your veggies. To make the process even quicker you can purchase, washed and sliced sprouts. (That’s what I did!) During the busy holidays it’s nice to take a few shortcuts when preparing the big meal. Enjoy time with your loved ones- that’s what life is really about.
Thanks for reading! xo