My son starts school next week and I wanted to make a lightened up muffin as an easy breakfast option. This recipe comes from one of my first cookbooks, “The Complete Cooking Light Cookbook”. It features many delicious recipes that are still big on taste, but lower in calories. These muffins come in at 150 calories- perfect snack allowance.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 8oz sour cream or 8oz vanilla low fat yogurt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup fresh blueberries or frozen, thawed
- Cooking spray
- Sugar in the raw (2 tbsp- adapt to your liking)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl; make a well in the center of mixture.
- Combine orange juice, oil, vanilla, sour cream and egg; add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moist. Gently fold in blueberries.
- Spoon batter into 12 muffin cups coated with cooking spray. (Or feel free to use cupcake liners) Sprinkle sugar in the raw evenly over muffins. Bake for 15-18 minutes, until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove muffins from pans immediately, and place muffins on wire rack to cool.
These muffins are best the day they are made, but will be just fine for a few days. Store in a plastic bag or covered container to retain freshness.
Thanks for reading! xo