When I first got married, I did a lot of semi-homemade cooking and used boxed dinner kits. I didn’t have a lot of kitchen knowledge as a 23 year old and they were convenient. One of our favorite meals early on, was a kit for taco casserole. I believe it was made by El Paso and I don’t know if they still make it. As my love for cooking increased, so have my kitchen adventures. Anyhow, this taco bake is inspired by that meal I used to prepare all those years ago.
This dish, is a kid pleaser and will satisfy your family at dinner. It’s pretty simple to prepare and the layers of cheese, taco meat and tortilla are reminiscent of a Mexican style lasagna. It’s packed full of flavor and a touch of heat.
Taco Bake- (Adapted from Pillsbury.com)
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2/3 cup water
- Taco seasoning packet
- 6 tortillas, cut in half
- 1 jar of salsa (I use 3/4 in meat mixture and save other 1/4 for topping casserole or to serve with chips.)
- 1 8.75 oz can of corn
- 1.5 cups Monterey & Jack cheese
- Green onions, chopped
1. Heat oven to 350°F. In a large skillet, cook beef over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until thoroughly cooked; drain. Stir in taco seasoning mix and water. Simmer a couple minutes stirring frequently, until thickened. Stir in salsa and corn.
2. Spray 13×9-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Cut tortillas in half; place 6 tortilla halves in bottom of baking dish.
3. Next, top with half of beef mixture. Sprinkle with half of the shredded cheese and remaining tortilla halves. Top with remaining beef mixture and cheese.
4. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and top with sliced green onions. Serve immediately.
*I like to top with sour cream and serve with tortilla chips and salad.
This dish travels well and makes a great potluck meal. I hadn’t made this dinner in years and we all really enjoyed it. I think it will get added to the regular meal rotation.
Thanks for reading! xo