Tomorrow is July 4th and I have another patriotic themed dish to share. It’s even healthy! Who doesn’t need that after coming out of a long holiday weekend? I’ve been making this salad for the last few years and it never gets old.
The flavors are fresh and satisfying. It makes a wonderful lunch to enjoy during the hot and humid afternoons. This salad gets it’s name from the beautiful summer berries and cheese that accompany the greens.
This recipe is incredibly easy to toss together and will be well received at a luncheon or shower. Feel free to serve in a large bowl or dish it up into jars for individual portions.
Red, White & Blue Salad- This recipe is my own creation. I usually make it personal sized. The recipe below is for a family.
- 1/2 pint sliced strawberries (washed)
- 1/2 pint blueberries (washed)
- 1 pint raspberries (washed)
- 5oz container of mixed field greens/spinach or arugula
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup candied walnuts
- Feta or blue cheese crumbles (2.5 oz or more to taste- you can never go wrong with cheese)
- Raspberry vinaigrette to taste
*This recipe can be adapted to your tastes so add more of what you like and less of what you don’t. Cooking doesn’t always have to follow rules-use your instincts.
1. Add salad mix to a large bowl
2. Place berries, cheese, dried cranberries and walnuts into the bowl and give a light toss.
3. Add dressing and toss or serve on side for guests to add their own.
You can add grilled chicken to this salad if you want added protein for a meal at dinner time. This combination of ingredients is bursting with seasonal flavor and hits the spot every time.
Thanks for reading! xo