There is an Italian deli and restaurant near my work that makes awesome coleslaw. I always get it as my side if we order lunch. It’s light and has a nice crunch too.
For whatever reason, I’ve always made creamy coleslaw and today I set out to try my hand at the vinaigrette version. This side dish is wonderful with hot dogs and hamburgers. It’s also a perfect compliment to grilled chicken.
If you need to make a quick and easy dish for a function or picnic- this is it. It transports very easily and adds a healthy option to the table. Who doesn’t need to eat more veggies?!
Vinaigrette Coleslaw: (Recipe from Better Homes & Garden)
- 3 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp celery seeds
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp dry mustard
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 package shredded cabbage with carrot (coleslaw mix)
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions for garnish
1. For vinaigrette, combine first seven ingredients into a small bowl and whisk well.
2. In a large bowl combine remaining ingredients. Pour vinaigrette mixture over cabbage mixture; toss gently to coat. Cover and chill for a couple hours before serving.
*You can make this side up to 24 hours in advance. The depth of flavor would continue to develop.
I think this dish will be added to the rotation for the spring and summer season. What’s one of your favorite healthy sides?
Thanks for reading! xo