I love scones- maybe because I enjoy a good tea party and the aforementioned go hand in hand. I always seem to have brown bananas lying around and wanted to make something a little different from typica banana bread.
When I found this recipe for scones, I couldn’t wait to try it. The glaze puts it right over the top in terms of deliciousness! These banana bread scones are perfect for brunch or even pretty in a “breakfast in bed” gift basket.
Banana Bread Scones- (slightly adapted from the lovely blog, A Kitchen Addiction)
For the Scones:
2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
⅓ C brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp nutmeg
½ C unsalted butter, cold and cut into pieces
2 1/2 ripe bananas, mashed
1 egg, lightly beaten
For the Cinnamon Sugar Topping:
1 tbsp water
2 tbsp sugar
¼ tsp cinnamon
For the Brown Sugar Glaze:
½ C confectioner’s sugar
2 tbsp brown sugar
½ tsp vanilla extract
2-4 tsp milk
1. Preheat oven to 350. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a baking mat. (I used my Silpat)
2. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
3.Cut in butter with a pastry blender or two forks until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in mashed banana and egg. Stir until just combined.
4. Place dough onto well-floured surface. Dough will be somewhat sticky. Knead until dough comes together. Be careful not to overwork- no one likes tough scones!
5. Shape into an 8-inch circle. Brush top of dough with a little water. Stir together sugar and cinnamon for topping and sprinkle over the top. Cut into 8 pieces and place on prepared baking sheet.
6. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until light golden brown. Transfer to wire rack to cool.
7. In a small bowl, whisk together sugars. Add in vanilla and 2 tsp milk. Add more milk if you want a thinner glaze. Drizzle over cooled scones. Serve to all your hungry friends.
*Store leftovers in a covered container.
These scones are really pretty and would be perfect on a tiered tray at your next tea party. They are a terrific twist on classic banana bread. I brought a few of these to my parents and they really enjoyed them too. A scone with coffee makes a tasty on the go breakfast. What is your favorite breakfast treat? I’d love to hear from you!
Thanks for reading! xo