Biscuits- tall, tender and perfect to accompany jam, ham or just about anything. I live in the south, not the Deep South, but the mid Atlantic and I love southern cuisine. Biscuits are an integral part of a true southern brunch or shower.
Today, I am sharing a recipe for cheddar and pimento drop biscuits. No rolling required- just drop em and bake! This recipe comes from Cook’s Country magazine.
The wonderful thing about drop biscuits is there are many variations you can make as far as the add-ins. While I’m using cheddar and pimento today, you can switch things up to whatever cheese you have on hand or use fresh herbs to deliver awesome flavor to your biscuits. Honestly you cannot go wrong!
Cheddar & Pimento drop biscuits-
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk, chilled
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup finely chopped jarred pimentos
1. Heat oven to 475 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, salt, cheddar cheese and pimentos together in a large bowl.
3. Stir buttermilk and melted butter together in a 2- cup liquid measuring cup until butter forms clumps.
4. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture and stir with spatula until just incorporated.
5. Using a greased 1/4 cup measuring cup, drop level scoops of batter 1 1/2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet.
6. Bake until tops are golden brown, rotate sheet halfway through baking. Bake 12-14 minutes.
7. Melt remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and brush on biscuit tops.
8. Transfer biscuits to a wire rack to cool for 5 minutes. Serve those buttermilk biscuits to your hungry guests!
These biscuits are great for breakfast time or as a welcome carb at dinner. Serve them however you like. They are fluffy, yummy and easy, so add them to your weekly meal plan.
Thanks for reading! xo