Every Valentine’s Day I make my family chocolate covered strawberries. They are such a fancy treat that takes minimal effort. I always look forward to dipping the strawberries in chocolate and then rolling in a variety of toppings to change the flavor profile. Presenting the tray of long stemmed strawberries is a tradition we will continue for years to come.
First, you need to decide on what type of chocolate you want to use. Typically, I am a fan of milk chocolate. I have also used white chocolate for a change of pace. Because I am a fan of quick and easy; I like to use Wilton candy melts- these are very accessible and can be found at Walmart or your local craft store. Candy melts are made of sugar, milk solids, vegetable oils, flavorings and colors. Also, chocolate candy melts have cocoa powder added. They act a lot like chocolate, but do not require tempering like pure chocolate does. This means you get to devour the strawberries that much sooner!
- Package of long stemmed strawberries (if you can’t find these, regular strawberries will work just fine, but the stem assists with the dipping)
- One package chocolate candy melts or almond bark (these will set or “dry” very quickly)
- A variety of toppings (sprinkles, mini chocolate chips and crushed graham crackers are a few of our favorites)
- Wax paper
- Medium bowl
1. Wash your strawberries and make sure you dry them completely.
*at this time also make sure you have your toppings set up in individual bowls or plates since this process needs to move quickly.
2. Melt the candy melts (start with half the bag) according to package directions.
3. Dip the strawberries in the chocolate and allow excess chocolate to fall back into the bowl and then immediately roll in topping of choice.
4. Place the strawberries on wax paper to set completely. This will only take a few minutes.
5. Store in the fridge until ready to consume.
Once the chocolate covered strawberries have set, feel free to package them up for gift giving in cellophane bags or gift boxes lined in wax paper and tied up with seasonal ribbon. These are sure to make your loved ones swoon with delight.
I want to thank everyone who has visited the blog over the last few weeks and has taken the time to comment. I really appreciate the feedback and love!
Wishing you all a lovely Valentine’s Day! xo