Lucious lemon- the tart flavor profile of lemons has always been one of my favorites. From lemonade to lemon bars, I am a fan! Today, I am sharing a recipe for lemon pudding cakes. The bottom layer is like a creamy lemon curd and the top layer is reminiscent of a springy “cloud cake”. This treat is sure to add some shine shine to your life, during this long winter. Also, the dish would be a wonderful addition at a brunch or use it as the dessert course during your Valentine’s Day dinner. Either way it’s sure to please your friends and family.
In order to make this cake you will need a few ramekins (I used four). It also, requires a water bath, which is super easy, so don’t let that stop you.
This recipe was adapted from Savory magazine, that’s offered at one of my local grocery stores.
Recipe- Lemon Pudding Cakes
- Cooking spray
- 2/3 cup sugar + more for dusting
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 2/3 cup milk (I used whole)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (fresh or bottled concentrate if you are out of lemons)
- 1 tbsp lemon zest (You may also use McCormick Gourmet™ Lemon Peel)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Fresh berries for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350F degrees
2. Spray ramekins with cooking spray, dust with sugar and put aside.
3. Using electric mixer, beat together egg yolks, milk, lemon juice and zest until smooth.
4. Sift flour, salt and sugar and slowly beat into lemon mixture.
5. In a separate bowl, whisk egg whites until soft peaks form and gently fold into the lemon mixture. (Soft peaks will not stand up when you hold up your whisk)
6. Transfer batter into the greased ramekins and set into a roasting or cake pan. Pour water into the pan until it reaches halfway up the sides of the ramekins.
7. Bake for 20 minutes or until cakes are golden brown on top and springy. Serve warm or at room temperature with fresh berries.
*These also, taste great right out of the fridge. Cool and refreshing! A dollop of whipped cream is a nice addition too.
I hope you try this recipe out and if you do, let me know how you like it.
Thanks for stopping by! xo