With Valentine’s Day a few weeks away, my mind is thinking about sweet treats for my family. I made vanilla cupcakes garnished with some of our favorite Valentine’s Day candy. This is a simple way to jazz up your cupcakes and add a festive touch. It’s very versatile, so use whatever you like!
I tried a new vanilla cake recipe and while it was pretty good, I’m still looking for the ultimate one. Today I will share the recipe I used to make American Buttercream. (This recipe is slightly adapted from Glorious Treats.)
- Two sticks softened butter
- 4 cups powered sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons whole milk or cream
- Pinch of salt
1. Add butter to mixing bowl and cream.
2. Add two cups of powdered sugar to the same bowl and mix ingredients together.
3. Add vanilla and salt; mix.
4. Add one tablespoon of milk to mixture and combine.
5. Add last two cups of powdered sugar to bowl and mix until all ingredients are combined and smooth.
6. Finally, add last tablespoon of milk and mix until frosting is at a consistency you like.
7. You may fill a pastry bag and use your favorite icing tip to pipe gorgeous swirls onto your cupcakes or even use a baking spatula to slather on the frosting goodness. (Maybe a tutorial on piping is something I can think about adding in the future?)
You can add any flavorings to this buttercream to slightly change it for your baking needs. (Cocoa power or lemon extract, for example.)
I know my blogging has been very inconsistent in this season of life and I look forward to sharing more in the way of food, crafts and entertaining.
Thanks for reading! xo